Absolut vodka Forum Forum Indexabsolutregis.com
Contact usRegister SearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog inFollow us on follow us on facebook
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Mr Absolut - GUNNAR BROMAN
Post Mr Absolut - GUNNAR BROMAN 
I just wanted to start this thread because this man deserves it. Whitout him we problably wouldn't have this forum and our collections as they are now, maybe in a other way, but not like this.

Today he is 82 years old and still going strong:

Post everything here, articles, pictures, feelings, thoughts etc.

After meeting him and listen to his stories at the International Absolut Collectors meet in Åhus I fully respect him and he is extrodinary.

Here's an article from the paper Kristianstadsbladet the day after the Collectors meet:

"Text: Marcus Haraldsson
Updated August 14, 2010 5:00 Published August 14, 2010 05:00:35 5.002010-08-14
[+] [-] Text Size | Post a comment |
Åhus.Ett different meeting took place in Åhus yesterday. Collectors all over the world of Absolut vodka products were then meet the man behind the Absolut bottle - Gunnar Broman.
- Very strange. They come here to see and touch me, "he said shortly before the call-up of the Absolute-collectors from USA, China, Germany and several other countries would enter the hotel ÅhusStrand.

Gunnar Broman is 82 years and retired 18 years ago, but possesses a vitality and intensity that he would be many years younger. He commutes between humility and pride in the fact that he portrayed the iconic bottle.

- It was a job I did for over 30 years ago. Four, five years later, I heard about this job every day. I was so tired of it then, but when I stopped working, it was the day I became famous for, and now I think it's great that people remember.
He does not think the job itself was particularly remarkable, but is more pleased to have created the brand Pripps Blue, who was also the advertising job that gave him and the Office Carlsson & Broman Absolutely job.

The inspiration for the Absolut bottle is a bottle of medicine that Gunnar Broman had bought in an antique shop in the old town of Stockholm and the design of the Absolut bottle was a "crime" when it came to 1979.

- We knew we were going into one of the strongest markets in the world. Spirits and cosmetics are products with low production costs, marketing costs, which dominates. Why is there such a competition. Then you can not go the usual route and make it everyone else is doing, but a bit better, but you may find something in violation of properly.

- Where was all spirit packs high, beautiful and full of luxury gadgets like stars, weapons, shields and stuff and had the prestigious names that sounded imperial, as Smirnoff. We broke with the total when we instead of a long high-bottle was a little chubby.

Gunnar Broman says that the second "offense" and he was the Agency did not have the label on the bottle.

- The bottle was like a gray hole in the shelf, which allowed many looked closer to what it was. Then they could see that we had in place an ad with the headline and body text on the bottle.

During the launch Gunnar Broman was criticized for that bottle was ugly.

- I have never received so much, of a product. It said it was the ugliest one had seen and with a total of incomprehensible concepts. It said that it looked like a drip bottle hanging above a hospital bed. We were on us and was supported by Lindmark, then Chairman of V & S Finland.

- Since we had already put a lot of money importers thought that we would get back at least something. That's when their sales started going out to bars and order an Absolut and tonic. What, did you not Absolut vodka? they said and left. A few days later someone called and wanted to buy. In this simple way, it took off.

According to Gunnar Broman is a vodka reklammakares dream.

- All features of the product may be introduced from outside. Compare with a car that already has a lot of features just to be presented. Vodka has no properties, in all cases all the vodka the same characteristics.

Pripps Blue. Absolut vodka. Alcohol products are all very well, but that Gunnar Broman has worked with most is milk. He co-formed low-fat milk product. He has delivered some lectures on marketing courses at Lund University in recent years, but has increasingly retreated to the sauna on a cold swimming pool Sibbarp, 100 meters from home in Limhamn.

But interest remains, among other things, he has followed the hajpade TV series "Mad Men".

- It is so good in hell. I was in the industry in the 60's and recognize it a bit and become silly rogue style, while occasionally flashed. The relationship between the sexes is also quite good.

- I only have a small handicap, I can not see the channels with commercials, so I have instead bought the TV series on DVD. "

Here's another interview from the web:

"Gunnar Broman - An old commercial advertisers
ronnestam village on August 19, 2009

Worked as a copywriter with more in just 40 years, from 1952 to 1992, the Gumaelius, Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet, Ad Agency Svea (KF), Ted Bates and the last over 20 years in house of Carlsson & Broman.

Most famous work: ABSOLUT VODKA, idea, brand, packaging / design Lars Borje Carlsson, introductions in the U.S..

Best job (I think): Pripps Blue. Design: Hans Brindfors.

After about 20 years in the same form began Lars Borje and I will talk about doing something new. Probably continue together in some form. Fixed in new ways. Without it, without a lot of employees and current kunder.Vi but had little new types of jobs at once, together and each one individually. It was about finding things out, you could say. Then, like lightning from a clear sky for us an offer for the Agency. Satchi & Satchi by, then the world's largest advertising agency chain. After a few months, it was clear. But not with Satchi & Satchi, but with DDB Needham. So we were left to the Agency a few years ago and I was 64 and damn eager to stop working. So it ended and you could say that on the whole, been pretty good. Especially considering how it started.

For a little strange paths I ended up on the Defense high school, where I graduated from high school. One teacher thought that I should devote myself to any professional who had to leave to do and by another coincidence I ended up as a copywriter at a small office in Stockholm. I was also able to start volunteering as a journalist at Sala Allehanda. I just felt that much better. But there was a salary only 375 bucks a month and in the Sala 500 in Stenberg & Wagner in Stockholm. It was my career choice.

Education: zero.

Tagged as: Gunnar Broman, communications, fox, advertising, Sr., trademarks "

Post Publicité 
PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?

Good idea to start this thread!
This man is really nice, a real pleasure to meet him!

i was really luck to sit a while next to him this one evening he is a really nice person to talk to ))green2))smiley

and he has done lots of pioneer work, that's for sure !

big_jump.gif big_class.gif

An article from Kristianstadsbladet 2009:

"The man behind the legendary bottle
Text: Clifford Johansen
Updated June 23, 2010 1:17 Published April 20, 2009 21:33:43 21.332009-04-20

Åhus.Det is 30 years since Absolutely received his first order of vodka. Gunnar Broman, the man behind the now-legendary bottle says that it has happened since then is more than anyone could have imagined.
The lanky, young man rågblonde Peter Ekelund has climbed up on a couple of pallets in the factory in Åhus. He talks to the staff, promising them that they soon will be working overtime, because it will start producing something that will become a worldwide success, but he met with doubt.
- He did not know that just one month before the union had been down from London and announced plans for closure in six months, "said Gunnar Broman. The now 81-year-old rec-lamb carter is still lively, happy to tell you and remember events in the late 1970s when he was involved in writing advertising and design history. Then he took out the bottle for what would become Absolut Vodka. The drink, which at just 20 years left to become the third largest spirits brand in the world.

There are several factors to success. But Gunnar Broman said Peter Ekelund had a part in it:
- He was young, 23 years old when. First, he did not understand what was impossible, and he never knew his powers began and ended.

On 20 April 1979, the factory in nedäggningshotade Åhus its first order from Boston in the United States. There are 700 boxes with a total of 6300 liters of vodka.

The trip there was long. And began with the CEO of V & S Finland Lars Lindmark wanted an export project.

The mission went to Carlsson & Broman, advertising firm that previously helped Lindmark when he was chairman of Pripps. When the job was to develop a beer for young people. The result was Blue Pripps, which quickly took 40 percent of the market.

Now they would find a way to export liquor from Sweden. And here is the specific historiography. Broman and others claim they created the first design and filled it with content then. Wine & Spirits in its history has highlighted the product and claims that since it was packed. No matter who is right, plays a crucial role bottle. It was really an old medicine bottle that Gunnar Broman had found in a shop in Old Town, Stockholm.
- I had it standing on my desk. When we ran the export project, there were many different proposals on how a bottle would look and stand out among the others.

He tells of how liquor bottles fighting for attention with high necks, labels, gold, silver and ornaments. Bottles as "screaming" at the bar.
- When all the shouting have to whisper to be heard. We succeeded. The bottle stood out by breaking the pattern. We made it invisible - but when it stood at the bar pulled the heads.

The label was punched directly on the bottle, and made a great advertisement. With the title, body, and a story to fall back on - the Swedish vodka, whose best-seller called Purified. But in the beginning was hard resistance against the bottle.
- I do not think I had so much bark for something for the bottle!

Market research in the United States recommended them not to spend more money in the bottle. But the small importer, Carillon, which was the only one who wanted to take care of booze from Sweden, wanted to earn back the money they invested, and continued to peddle vodka.
- They sent out vendors who walked into the bar and ordered a "Absolut on the rocks". When the bartender shook his head became "customers" indignant: What are you wore not absolute? and went out.

It created a demand. That spread all the way to the world famous disco Studio 54 in Manhattan. There Carillon Michel Roux was friends with artist Andy Warhol, which in 1985 decided to paint the bottle.
- It was pure speculation, but Roux bought it and created a new niche for the ads. In addition, reached a new audience.

Later the artist Keith Haring did a version of the bottle. Which created even more interest in the drink. Last year it was close to 100 million liters of vodka, which was shipped from the plant in Åhus. The plant was chosen in the beginning because it was the only one that was small enough to be able to get the bottles as needed.

Gunnar Broman says there has been a fascinating story to follow.
- But I can not believe you are not proud of it! This is a state-owned monopoly, has created a worldwide success.

- So is this a design project, but it barely mentioned a word about it for a few years ago, when there was a Year of Design.

The sale of V & S to Pernod Ricard understand he did not:
- They have not bought because they like vodka, but because they want to make money on it. Why should not we earn the money in place?

He himself has a long way from becoming a millionaire on the bottle or the ideas behind:
- A few years ago I made a calculation. We had charged a total of 780 000 SEK, including travel. We were called in to do a job, that was a pure consultancy service. "

Gunnar Broman and his wife, they are really nice persons:

From left to the right: Me - Gunnar Broman - Arnaud (arnaud.19)

And here is the really first Absolut bottle ever produced!
Mr. Broman bring it specially for the event, it was really an honor to see it and hold it in our hands.
If i well remember, this bottle was produced as a prototype in 1979 in France in a factory called Saint Gobain

It's sad/bad that the attendance to this thread is so low...
Without this man and his effort and engagement in pushing his belives in Absolut vodka we haven't been here today... kingok

Borg wrote:
It's sad/bad that the attendance to this thread is so low...
Without this man and his effort and engagement in pushing his belives in Absolut vodka we haven't been here today... kingok

++1+1+1+1++

Yeah, it was very nice meeting him and his wife at our collectors meeting.  Nice people, very friendly and down to earth.  Hopefully we'll have a chance to meet them some day again.  Here's my photo with Mr. Broman  Razz

... and here I am holding the very first Absolut Vodka bottle... amazing that he not only brought it with him, but that we all got to hold it  Okay

Visit poster’s website
Jesper he had his back turned! Twisted Evil

ABSOLUTonio wrote:

Laughing smilmdrrrrr Anto !

ABSOLUTonio wrote:

c'mon he would have never noticed... Embarassed

ABSOLUTonio wrote:
arnaud.19 wrote:
ABSOLUTonio wrote:

rubchin eusa_wwdfgfgistle-533.gif a090-xcvxbxcb1d58.gif smiliedrink

Visit poster’s website
J-E-S-P-E-R wrote:
ABSOLUTonio wrote:
arnaud.19 wrote:
ABSOLUTonio wrote:

rubchin eusa_wwdfgfgistle-533.gif a090-xcvxbxcb1d58.gif smiliedrink

big_moque.gif

<<<.........My Collection.........>>>
<<<...Wanted & Trade List...>>>
MSN

Visit poster’s website

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Contact us | Index | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation