Absolut vodka Forum Forum Indexabsolutregis.com
Contact usRegister SearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog inFollow us on follow us on facebook
Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4  >
Bottles & skins from South Africa
Post Bottles & skins from South Africa 
J-E-S-P-E-R wrote:
J4man! wrote:

I thought we decided the actual vodka inside was the same but the classification was different?

Same with the 37.5% UK bottles...

rubchin

Oh no, the alcohol % of the contents varies. Denmark also had 37.5% some time ago  Rolling Eyes

The article above suggests otherwise:

"40% = 80 US Proof = 70 British Proof"

I might be wrong, but I thought we had someone in the know confirm it was all the same vodka....

★★★ 117 Positive Feedbacks! ★★★
Skype MSN
Post Publicité 
PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?

J4man! wrote:
J-E-S-P-E-R wrote:
J4man! wrote:
I thought we decided the actual vodka inside was the same but the classification was different?

rubchin

Oh no, the alcohol % of the contents varies. Denmark also had 37.5% some time ago  Rolling Eyes

I might be wrong, but I thought we had someone in the know confirm it was all the same vodka....

It's not the same vodka! Basically, the PROOF is calculated differently in some regions. South Africa has a higher alcohol content at 43%, unlike the 40% we see in most other markets. Please read the article I linked earlier:

"...Jorgensen is concerned that the current South African liquor legislation (that insists that vodka be sold with an alcohol content of 43%) will stunt this new market sector. A danger is the legislation could squash the nascent premium vodka market by ruining the subtlety of the flavour of the sipping drink with the high alcohol content.

'The flavour and subtlety of sipping vodka, like a pot still brandy, or Cognac, and many single malt whiskys, is better appreciated with an alcohol content lower than in a 43% spirit. At the higher level the fine flavour and delicacy of the product is masked by the burn of high alcohol content,' says Jorgensen. 'Given that vodka is a highly rectified and relatively neutral tasting product, these flavours are indeed subtle, and tend to be significantly masked at 43% alcohol.'

In addition, this ruling is at odds with international standards, and in order to import vodka into South Africa, international distillers may have to produce a South Africa-specific version of their spirit, reducing our exposure to the premium end of the market. Finally, South African distillers, obliged to produce a 43% product, are prevented from entering international competition where the maximum alcohol level required to compete is 40%.

Jorgensen is actively lobbying for the legislation to be amended to allow more flexibility when it comes to the alcohol levels for vodka and to allow a lower minimum alcohol level, or to recognise a separate premium vodka sector that allows bottling at 40% or lower. In addition, he has urged the South African Liquor Brands Association (SALBA) to take into consideration the changing tastes of the public, and its prediliction for premium vodka, when next consulting with the Department of Agriculture on recommended changes to the legislation."

Visit poster’s website
OK, anybody check with insider to see how many countries got different degree in ABSOLUT bottle?
and still nobody explain why there is sticker on SA's bottles:)

Visit poster’s website MSN
43% Blue 750ml from South Africa. It's the Nova design and with sticker Smile

Positivie feedback : 52
Visit poster’s website
Nice blue 43% sam! Okay

<!-- This version of the embed code is no longer supported. Learn more: https://vimeo.com/help/faq/embedding -->

Visit poster’s website
Did anyone attend? Razz

Visit poster’s website
Not me... Wink

J-E-S-P-E-R wrote:
J4man! wrote:
J-E-S-P-E-R wrote:
J4man! wrote:

rubchin

It's not the same vodka! Basically, the PROOF is calculated differently in some regions. South Africa has a higher alcohol content at 43%, unlike the 40% we see in most other markets. Please read the article I linked earlier:

"...Jorgensen is concerned that the current South African liquor legislation (that insists that vodka be sold with an alcohol content of 43%) will stunt this new market sector. A danger is the legislation could squash the nascent premium vodka market by ruining the subtlety of the flavour of the sipping drink with the high alcohol content.

'The flavour and subtlety of sipping vodka, like a pot still brandy, or Cognac, and many single malt whiskys, is better appreciated with an alcohol content lower than in a 43% spirit. At the higher level the fine flavour and delicacy of the product is masked by the burn of high alcohol content,' says Jorgensen. 'Given that vodka is a highly rectified and relatively neutral tasting product, these flavours are indeed subtle, and tend to be significantly masked at 43% alcohol.'

In addition, this ruling is at odds with international standards, and in order to import vodka into South Africa, international distillers may have to produce a South Africa-specific version of their spirit, reducing our exposure to the premium end of the market. Finally, South African distillers, obliged to produce a 43% product, are prevented from entering international competition where the maximum alcohol level required to compete is 40%.

Jorgensen is actively lobbying for the legislation to be amended to allow more flexibility when it comes to the alcohol levels for vodka and to allow a lower minimum alcohol level, or to recognise a separate premium vodka sector that allows bottling at 40% or lower. In addition, he has urged the South African Liquor Brands Association (SALBA) to take into consideration the changing tastes of the public, and its prediliction for premium vodka, when next consulting with the Department of Agriculture on recommended changes to the legislation."

I asked Matt Pomeroy (Global Ambassador at The ABSOLUT Company) if he could confirm whether or not the South African version does contain a higher alcohol level or if it's just a labeling issue. His response was, "Yes South Africa is unique in its 43% abc. A spirit can only be called vodka in south africa at this abc. Its a legs requirement."

Following members like this message:
samy060 (24/07/12)
Visit poster’s website
Nice info Jesper, so now the question is solved Okay

samy060 (24/07/12)
Visit poster’s website

Visit poster’s website
Cool and rare NL 750ml 43% Okay

Visit poster’s website

2bcorti - Admin (06/09/12)
Visit poster’s website

Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4  >

Contact us | Index | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation