Absolut vodka Forum Forum Indexabsolutregis.com
Contact usRegister SearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog inFollow us on follow us on facebook
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Collectors spirit
Post Collectors spirit 
Collectors spirit…

There has been a lot of talk about people not showing their collectors sprit when selling with (a big) profit. So I am writing to blow a little steam out here instead of having every topic full with conversations about everything else but the items.

We will probably never see store prices on Ebay and that’s because “we” are prepared to buy almost at whatever it costs. I don’t consider it greed because every transaction is pure business. An auction could end either way. Collecting Absolut brings much joy and happiness but it does also bring a big empty wallet.
If I can sell a bottle on Ebay with let’s say 50% margin, that would give me money to expand my own collection. What people tend to forget is that it takes time to buy, pack and ship items. And as we all know time is money. We can’t all get one Freestyle bottle each for 20 euros..
On a personal level I would actually pay a little extra to be sure I will get what I buy. Lowest price does not always mean it’s the best. I am sure some of you agrees…

But on this forum we have the opportunity to TRADE or buy Absolut items with each other. It’s here we have that special something called collectors spirit. The prices are generally better here than on Ebay, or as some people say – Evilbay *LOL*

I have seen on another forum that people help each other out by taking orders and buy bulk. That sounds like a very clever idea and it could save some money. Instead of let’s say 10 Swedes buy one package each, why not send one big package and then create a “hub” who sends out packages domestic, to the other 9 people. It would for sure be extra work for the one who is the “hub” but it would also be nice to save money on the purchase.
We could all take turns and actually help each other!

So what do you think?

Post Collectors spirit 
That's hard to organize Mikael, on ACW, 99.9% of users are German, it's not the case here.
By example, if i buy a French edition in bulk, what will i have to do, ship some in Sweden, some in Uk, some in China, some in Italy, some in Portugal, some in Germany, some in....

I vote for KK to be the host here in Singapore! Okay

My Collection!
http://absolutregis.xooit.com/t2835-matashi-s-Collection.htm
Post Collectors spirit 
this is my solution for bulk orders:

Create a group just for swedish collectors on Facebook or communicate here on AR via pm. This should be easy to organizing and you can create your own swedish bulk order this way. Of cours every other collector from a different country can make this too like our french, brazil.....members.

Some words to the "Collectors spirit"

I think every collector has to define this word for himself. For me it means that i help fellow collectors with real good prices if it is possible. I sold the Blank Wagner to some guys here for nearly the retail price + shipping costs. These collectors help me in the past and i know that they will be helping me again if possible. Of course it takes tame and costs money to pack and send many bottles and of course i can't help 100 collectors with the Wagner or the retail price. But i think bottles like the Wagner, London, Istanbul...which are easy to get in the shops could be sold buy fellow collectors for a very fair price to any collector here.

buy it for 15€ sell it for 20€+ shipping and it is a  very fair price for both i think and it covers your costs. Everybody has to decide for himself how many other collectors he wants to help but i am sure that you will increase your collection much more cheaper with new bottles if you have fellow collectors all over the world. So help other collectors and they will help you...

If you need some money for your collection just sell the bottles on ebay. Everybody is free to bid there...

Okay

I agree with Simon about the collectors spirit. We all (most) want to help others but it does take time and money to sort out a lot of bottles to help others, so as Simon says add a bit to cover this I'd say about 30% is a fair cost so if a bottle costs say £15 sell it on for £20(which is still a very fair price to other collectors), this also covers paypal fees (approx 5%), the time in travelling around finding the bottles, packing, etc then obviously add shipping costs on (which to be honest I rarely charge for the packing even though I should) I tend to just round up the actual cost. Obviously extra cost would be adjust to suit regulars buyers.

As for group bulk buying each country this would take someone in each country that is willing to buy in bulk and then forward onto everyone....great idea but takes some organising and time.

Post Collectors spirit 
@Simon: Totally agreed with you Okay

... and if trades or logistics with bulk orders aren't feasible, then list your items on eBay without these ridiculous minimum reserves or high Buy It Now prices. Let the buyers determine fair market value, that way you can't be accused of setting prices too high. Of course shipping costs should be reasonable as well... what I charge is what the post office charges me, doesn't get more fair than that. Simon's point about helping other collectors and they'll help you (hopefully) is the right attitude... I'm surprised, though, how many collectors don't practice what they preach... as the saying goes, what comes around goes around.

Visit poster’s website
Post Collectors spirit 
I was thinking of a more local helping hands. For example Swedes helping Swedes. Like the Brazilians do on this forum. So thank you Simon for explaining that in a better way 
I have no problem helping another member out, whatever country he or she comes from. This was just an idea and sure it would create more work but we are all here to share our passion for Absolut!

I only brought this up because there have been a lot of talk about this “collectors sprit”. I am referring to the recent releases, Rio and Istanbul thread. For sure the prices on this forum is way better than on Ebay. Without this forum I would not have half of the collection I have today.
Simon, I think that’s a very friendly price since there are some expenses to cover. One person can’t help everyone out but if we all lend a helping hand, we can do a lot of good.

So all in all, I am very grateful for the ones who have helped me in the past, and for the ones who will help me in the future!

I think "Collector's Spirit" and bulk orders should be looked at quite seperately.  Collector's spirit isn't all about getting the lowest price.  Although that's the time the phrase is most often used, by people you've never met, never had any dialogue with and then suddenly if you don't give them what they want, you get accused of having no collector's spirit.

Many of us in the UK already work this way and are beginning to do more often.  We just don't publicise it, as Regis said right at the start, "it's hard to organise", so you can't help everyone.

It makes sense if buying something from abroad where postage costs push the prices up to buy more than just one and split the costs with someone else from your country.  So get speaking to people, make local contacts and friends from your country and help each other, put your contacts together and work out bulk orders between yourselves.  Where these kind of strong friendships exist, thats where you find collector's spirit...

Post Collectors spirit 
I think things are getting mixed up a little bit in here, hope I can sort them a little bit  Cool

Bulk Orders

Due to the fact that we have a lot of different nationalities in here it's almost impossible to do a bulk order.
The best way is to get to talk to all the Swedish members in here and try to buy a case of a bottle you need and distribute it on your own. This is the way the Austrian collectors do it and it works just fine Okay

Collector Spirit

This platform is all about Absolut regardless of the opinion to collecting it. We have quite a few Hardcore Collectors like Jesper who collects EVERYTHING with an Absolut stamp on it. Others collect more streamlined like Arnie who doesn't collect Giftpacks at all. Others are just here for making profit with the bottles they acquire through either good contacts or through traveling. Problem is you just cannot sort out who is who.

One way to deal with it is Simon's example. He sent quite a few Blanks to fellow collectors and he hopes to get a favor the next time a limited edition hits the country of this collector.

We clearly have a big big problem with the trend that if a limited edition hits a country most collectors try to make margins on that bottle that are way more than their expenses. This is where in my opinion the collector spirit gets lost. Selling at bottle that's in store for 25 EUR and costs 20 EUR on shipping for 120 EUR (hello Istanbul) is just greedy and has nothing to do with collecting... it is pure selling. What I've done for people like this is creating a black list. Even if I get a good offer I don't accept it anymore... what goes around, comes around ;-)

Post Collectors spirit 
))agreed))smiley))

I love collector spirit and I would really love to meet up with Matashi over some drinks too! I am sure the rest of the Singaporean collectors would love that too! A meet up would be cool! Okay

Following members like this message:
2bcorti - Admin (24/05/12)
Post Collectors spirit 
Haha. Drinks ok but non alcoholic please.  Laughing

My Collection!
http://absolutregis.xooit.com/t2835-matashi-s-Collection.htm
Post Collectors spirit 
lobsterman wrote:

I love collector spirit and I would really love to meet up with Matashi over some drinks too! I am sure the rest of the Singaporean collectors would love that too! A meet up would be cool! Okay
I'll be visiting Singapore in December, in case anyone wants to meet up Cool

Visit poster’s website
Post Collectors spirit 
J-E-S-P-E-R wrote:
lobsterman wrote:

I'll be visiting Singapore in December, in case anyone wants to meet up Cool

We'll be glad to have you here. =) I'm sure we can work something out! 
Cool

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Contact us | Index | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation